The Jasmine House is located in the Ansonborough district of historic downtown Charleston. The district is named after Lord Anson of England who won the area in a poker game with famous Charlestonian Thomas Gadsden. Lord Anson was an exceptional sailor who was dispatched to the Carolinas in 1724 to protect the coast from pirates. The Ansonborough district stretches from Meeting Street to the edge of the Cooper River and between Pinckney Street and George Street. The Ansonborough district was later divided up into 25 lots.
Built in 1843 the Jasmine House was originally built by Benjamin F. Smith a very wealthy building supply merchant. The Jasmine House is considered to have one of the finest levels of finish of any Greek Revival house in Charleston that is attributed to Benjamin F. Smith?s knowledge and access to building materials. The Jasmine features beautifully finished hardwood floors, plaster entablatures, 15 foot ceilings and ornate wood and iron work.
Initially sold for $11,000 in 1848; the Jasmine House has changed hands several times in the ensuing years. From planters to doctors to clergymen; the Jasmine has seen the rank and file of Charleston?s society through the years. Bought in 1982 by H.B. ?Buck? and Frances ?Frankie? Limehouse the Jasmine underwent a major renovation that started in April and was finished by the end of the year.